Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Napping at work

Siesta – ruling me nowadays; though my lunch is limited to a bowl of rice, I have struggled to come out of the midday nap today. I can barely keep my eyes open. There were no concerns with my tasks as I could carry on as usual and more importantly, no one around me seems to be bothered about.




When I browse through net, this is what I got about this midday napping:

"We all have a biological clock, located in our brain, whose function is to alert us throughout the day. Research has enlightened us to the fact that there is a natural dip in the alerting power of the clock. This dip occurs in the mid-afternoon. Therefore, an afternoon nap or "siesta" will increase our overall alertness if we are not quite getting all the sleep we need in the evening."

On the other hand, physiologists support snoozing while work:

…Sleeping on the job used to be grounds for dismissal. But now, years after Cornell University psychologist James Maas coined the term "power nap," companies are beginning to embrace the practice. Today, Nike (NKE ) and Deloitte Consulting are among those that encourage employees to add a midday snooze to their to-do lists. Sleep scientist Sara Mednick applauds this trend. Mednick, a researcher at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in San Diego and author of the new book Take a Nap! Change Your Life (Workman Publishing), says napping can enhance productivity.
Source

I found one more article
The cost of sleeping on the job from cnn

There are number of books on Art of napping at work; what I can do with this new information about napping?
Will our companies really make time for this? Is there any formal support and policies around this?

You can add as many questions to the heap, but the response will be NO without any doubt!

No comments: